PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 20:55
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh Brian,

"Supercool", now there's a blast from the past. As a Sgt rigger linie I debriefed a crew off a local sortie one lunchtime, who had a follow up low level trip that afternoon. The Engineer was adamant that the air conditioning was so noisy that the crew had difficulty communicating on intercom. We had 2 hours to test everything that we could, and did so. Once again NFF appeared in the F700 and the aircraft was presented to the crew for their afternoon sortie. This was prior to my GE days, but I was always happy to offer my services as an impartial observer, which was accepted by the aircraft captain. About 5 minutes after departure it became quite obvious why the "air conditioning" was noisy, something I could not deny. But I had noticed that the Eng had configured the system in an unusual way, pulling CBs etc, and that was the cause of the noise. I enjoyed a couple of hours of superb low level flying, and was told by the Eng on landing that he would be "re snagging" the noisy air conditioning. With the captain present I put the case that his configuring the system as he had, had created the noise. Also that "the book" precluded his use of the "supercool" set up. He didn't snag the frame. Years later, as a GE, I understood fully, certainly low level in the Gulf, why supercool was a necessary abuse of the system, but could never fathom why an Air Eng, who set the system up like that, could snag it for being noisy !!! I bet there's a few Engineers who used it though. And I for one would never blame them.

As we are in to "confessions" anyone interested in the Sarajevo vacuum cleaner ?

Smudge