PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 18:31
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.

Spin off from the long running Maritime aircraft requirement.

Cameron and Clegg admit axing search and rescue in Mediterranean has failed | UK news | The Guardian

EU leaders convene shortly to talk about what to do about the Med refugee crisis. I think I read the death toll of poor drowned people is x20 to what it was this time last year.
Something must be done. Although to quote the Irish man, I wouldn't start from here.
My guess is the RN and RFA with appropriate RM back up will be tasked to bring in an appropriate rescue capability, to find and lift out refugees and reduce the overall death rate. Just a guess mind-watch and see.
What the RAF will assist with (and I also bet they have to), I don't know.
I could be wrong, but I think the constant pressure of TV images of drowning people is having an affect on EU politicians images and ratings, and they must be seen to act. Italy and Malta were crying out for help the other night on BBC.
May be votes in it, maybe not and it may inflame the right wing element NO camp, so UK politicians right now will have to play a canny game on this one.
But I think they have to act and so does the military, now. Sorry.