PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left Dubai, 50 AED debt, ridiculous!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 18:10
KrazyKat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Dubai, 50 AED debt, ridiculous!

I left UAE last year, cancelled all my credit cards and bank accounts with zero balance like a good boy.

However, one of my old UAE credit cards posted a charge of 50 AED, long after I left Dubai and cancelled the card...

Emirates NBD claims I made the charge last year and the retailer finally posted the transaction six months late. I think the charge is fraudulent.

Anyway, all attempts to correct the issue have failed and Emirates NBD is now sending threatening e-mails asking me to telegraphically send 50 AED within 24 hours or else!

I refuse to spend about 75 AED in fees to send them 50 AED. Makes no sense. Plus, all attempts have failed to explain that it is impossible to make that charge after I cancelled the card and wasn't even in the UAE the time the transaction posted. Out of principle, I should not be responsible for this charge, even if the retailer failed to post a transaction in a timely manner.

Two part question:

Does the UAE have bilateral agreement with credit agencies or debt collectors in the United States?

Also, I never plan to ever visit the UAE again, but my wife is planning a trip back to Dubai soon. Will she be arrested for my debt of a whopping 50 AED?