PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching for the IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 17:36
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New regulation now in force also means that you must hold the relevant class rating when revalidating/renewing an IR. if you want the ME/IR then you will need an ME SPA class to associate it with. I guess this will be best done on the MEP. If you just want the SE/IR then it's not an issue as you already hold an SEP.

Previously, it has been possible to revalidate MEIR every other year in an FNPT 2, which has kept it current for those, such as fATPL holders looking for their first job, who are required to have a current MEIR to start a type rating, but who do not necessarily need a current MEP rating to start this training. .

Does this mean that an Examiner will not be able to revalidate an MEIR in the FNPT2 now unless the applicant can demonstrate possession of a current MEP class rating, which of course cannot be completed in the FNPT2?
Assuming someone wants to hold an 'IR-SP-ME class/SE' (often referred to as an 'ME-IR' for brevity) but not to exercise its privileges then this 'new' rule doesn't really change anything:

1) Revalidation and Renewal are Administrative Actions (not Skill Tests or Proficiency Checks).
2) Revalidations can occur up to 3 months prior to expiry of a Rating.
3) Renewals are valid for 1 year plus the remainder of the month in which the PC was passed.

For example:
A Pilot holds a valid MEP and a valid IR-SP-ME class/SE, both of which expire on 30 June 2015.

Sometime between 01 April and 30 June 2015 the Pilot passes an ME-IR Proficiency Check in a Simulator - They have a valid MEP, so they get their ME-IR Revalidated.

After 30 June their MEP has expired so they can no longer exercise the privileges of their valid ME-IR.

Sometime between 01 and 30 June 2016 they pass a combined MEP/ME-IR Proficiency Check in an aeroplane. The Examiner Renews the MEP first then second, as a valid MEP is now held, they Revalidate the ME-IR.

Pilot again has current MEP and ME-IR, both now valid until 30 June 2017.

The 2 year cycle can repeat ad nauseum.............