PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slip without stalling
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 10:33
sunday driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very helpful information here. Thanks for sharing your expertise. Forgive me if I don’t reference specific responses.

So, Why did I ask the question?
I have a couple of hundred hours (albeit over a couple of decades) and have just re-validated my IMC / IRR after an extended lapse. I am going through the self-imposed process of re-establishing my skills and confidence. This involves setting specific objectives for each sortie and writing a careful account of actual lessons learnt / areas for improvement next time. My limited gliding experience has added some useful ideas to my powered flying. For example, as I line up for departure, I mentally rehearse … ‘wind is from the left / right and if the cable breaks (engine stops) I will … ‘
Looking at my local airfield, 3 of the 4 departure directions offer good options, but the fourth is a bit restricted, hence the scenario; I will probably need to dump altitude pretty quick. Anything that works here will also be useful anywhere else.

Going back to first principles and reviewing my PPL training material, I found there was stuff on side slip and stuff on flaps, but nothing on side slip WITH flaps. Searching Pprune brought up the link in the original post – an interesting discussion, but no clear steer for ‘if the engine stops I will …’

SO, here is my simplified, safest course of action, condensed from the above, based on my usual mount, PA28-161 …
Nose down (attitude for initial approach speed). No flap. Max side slip, in one direction only. Nose right down to shed more energy. Aim a bit short because of the resultant higher speed. Short final Straighten up. Full flap. Steer, touch down, brakes, steer.

What do you reckon? Does this need fine tuning still? Coarse tuning?

The low speed, high descent rate option is interesting, but, in my case, perhaps more likely to end badly given other variables (gusting, workload, stress).

I will work on the following suggestion as well over the next few weeks. … “if you know you're going to be a bit high stamp on each pedal in turn and keep the wings more or less level. The resultant double-skid will increase your descent angle quite a bit for a few seconds, and a few seconds is all you have. (Try this at safe altitude. Repeat at reduced speed until it stalls. You will then know the speed and feeling when you lose control as a result of full rudder deflections near the stall.)”

Smokey L - Just saw your post - I will give that a bit of thought.

BTW Spilt fuel + hot exhaust or electrical short circuits = bang. Therefore I WILL want to shut off fuel and electrics. And in a PA 28 I would also like to unlatch the door. No check list required, it’s all in my head.

Thanks again

SD