PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unreliable airspeed jet transport aircraft
Old 21st Apr 2015, 19:54
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"By the book. And performed properly because it will not work if you don't do exactly what it is laid out."

One of the points of this debate is to ask why 'the book' has been changed. People had done it by the book in its previous life and it worked. I would like to think pilot are thinking animals and not just trained monkeys. Procedures are not cast in stone; they evolve & develop. Understanding why is part of our education. Here we are asking why; is it an improvement? Just following a new version, blindly, without thinking will not enhance one's education of the aviating environment.

Unreliable airspeed commences with a memory checklist. Thus it is not complicated to include simple memory parameters. B737 new QRH has 'flaps up' and 'flaps extended' pitch/att numbers. There is debate about whether they cause their own consequential problems. Flaps extended implies UP speed or slower. We all know 6 & 60% works. Flaps up implies 230-250kts and higher. <10,000' 3 degrees 65% works, 25,000 3 degrees 75% works; 35,000 2 degrees 85% works. Surely 2-3 degrees is easy to remember & 10/20/30,000' & 65/75/85% ball park figures are also easy. Highly trained, well educated, intelligent pilots should be able to handle that small memory task.

If you set the QRH figures at low levels you will climb. What will you do with an RA telling you to stop climbing or reduce V/S? Why not TA only? Why is it that B737 QRH is so reluctant to include TA only in more manoeuvres? Surely anytime you are a wounded bird and are restricted in any way the TA only should be selected, ASAP, to warn other a/c that you can not manoeuvre freely?