PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The former Redhill Bristow training school destroyed by fire.
Old 21st Apr 2015, 15:46
Tony Mabelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were always wooden buildings up the top of the airfield left over from the wartime or just after, before Bristows got involved with training schools etc.

A couple were used by John Blyth, who ran a welding and paint spraying business.

Then there was Tony Shall who owned a company supplying catering to the local hospitals, most of which were large cans of tinned fruit and vegetables.
I worked for him in my school holidays, my job was to pick the required cans from the shelves, and make up the consignment for delivery.
This job was made interesting by having the occasional can 'Blow' while you were in close proximity............those huts got very hot in the summer.

Another business that was in the wooden buildings was Reliance Automatics,
churning out small components on capstan lathes. I worked there too, lasted about a week ( so bloody boring) before going down to Bristows and working in the packing dept with Dave Ware.............much more fun!!
Jack Wooley never forgave me for miss addressing two sea freight boxes, one to Trinidad, and one to New Zealand......it took about 9 months to rectify my cock up.
Tony