PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slip without stalling
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2015, 11:31
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b) GO full flap ASAP, and slow down to just above stall speed streight ahead, DO NOT BANK or you WILL STALL/SPIN in, and let the airplane sink. The lower speed will cover less ground while sinking fast. At 50ft a gentle forward nudge to get some speed to flare properly.)
Now that is a very good technique and was taught to me by a very experienced examiner at my CPL skills test (I think the exact words were "Short field, you call that SHORT field, let me show you a proper short field!)...

Anyway during his demo, he whacked in full flap and brought the speed back to about 50 kts in a 172SP. We had quite a high AOA but were coming down nicely. He stuck it on the end of the runway, slammed on the brakes and had stopped sub 100m (I know this as there was an intersecting runway and we stopped before the intersection)......He then made me try it.

Advantages are that you have low forward speed so will stop quickly (and have less fwd energy if you end up hitting something). You have a steep descent so with headwind you can land in a field close in. Disadvantages are that you are close to stall speed so have to be a bit careful and should only use this when on a final approach, so no turning.