PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK - Variation 1!
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2015, 10:14
Plank Cap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking Control: it's as Trader says so very well..........

How many times do we fly with colleagues who tell us that to refuse discretion is a fast ticket out of EK? We have to break this unwritten belief that discretion must be used.

Handle it as Capt. Trader describes above and things generally go well. It is Commander's Discretion, i.e. yours, to do with as you see fit on the day. Offer VPNC the facts, politely, don't get into an argument, and let them then choose an alternative from the options available. By refusing discretion we are not breaking any rules - all we really need is more of us in the left seat to accept this fact and say no when we feel we should be saying no, and the message will start to get through.

Believe me when I tell you that I am no apologist or defender of this company, but I am another who has said 'no thank you' to a suggestion to extend duty, and zero personal comeback resulted. As long was you handle the issue correctly, they will not hound you for refusing discretion.

'Aviate' your flight - 'Navigate' to the end of your Duty - and 'Communicate' your intention not to (always) offer Discretion.........

Last edited by Plank Cap; 21st Apr 2015 at 10:25.