PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Apr 2015, 09:57
foswillruletheworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the assessments last week.
Did the PSA and the only thing i can advice is to be honest. If you are just pretending, they will figure out the inconsistency in one or more of your answers. The result of PSA came in 2 days for me. They called me on the phone to schedule an interview date. Approximately 2 weeks from interview my company didn't give me the off days so i had to reschedule. In that manner i can thank the HR being so understanding and result oriented. Took the assessments last week.
The ATPL questions were a little weird. There were questions like what is the section 13 time of the flight plan(the answer is off block time just in case you want to know lol). However all passed. We had a synergetic and friendly group. 2 airbus guys and the rest was boeing. Airbus guys both FO and the boeing guys being 3 CPT and 2 FO. After the ATPL test we attented the interview face to face with 3 captains. Pretty straight forward and all very nice people. They want you to explain situation with the sentence starting as tell me a time you...
They want you to give details as many as you can and understand the culture of the company you are working, culture of you, nature of the abnormality and how you handled it. Also as far as i can tell they want to see if you can adapt to a really multicultural environment. They told me 130 different nationalities in company. So if you are not willing to work with people from many nationalities my sugggestion is just don't bother.
I need to mention that again; captains in the assessment were really friendly and really want you to join. No funny stuff, no trick questions.
Like 5-10 minutes after the assessments you get the notice if you have passed or failed. Again our whole group passed the interview.
Next day sim. A320 is a really nice aircraft and really easy to handle if you have Boeing experience. They are not expecting you to know everything. Just caring for handling, decision making, CRM in the cockpit and some basic elements like visual approaches or to maintain the course and attitude after an engine failure. Again, very friendly examiner. One take off, SID already installed in the FMC, you basicly follow the flight directors and "feel the aircraft". You have a sick passenger on board and try to figure out where to land.
After that you have an engine failure, so the wise thing to do is go back and land.
After all you start from the downwind of a visual approach with some crosswind between 10-15kt. Easy to maintain aircraft so you won't have any problems. Go and land. Auto thrust engaged throughout the whole flight.
Except the visual approach you have flight directors and can have the flight path vector(FPV/bird) during the visual approach.
Before the sim sessions they brief you about the company limits for approach. Of course they expect you to go around if you exceed any of the limits. They brief you about the MCP(i don't remember its name in airbus) modes and settings.
CRM is very esential. Informing each other in the cockpit for everything(and i mean everything) is what they are looking for.
Hope this helps.
Good luck everyone. I will share if i can pass the assessments and when i will start if i get the date.