PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 21st Apr 2015, 09:24
Epsomdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the last line of defence is manned by staff who are poorly trained and poorly paid is it any wonder common sense is a concept as alien as particle physics?
I have worked at LHR as a LAE since 1970. I have passed through security every day of my working life and have seen the security evolve from holding up a fag packet, with a cheery wave, to the current process.

Nowadays the security staff are highly trained and regulated at their job. The application of "common sense" by the front line staff is beyond their remit! They have a rule book to follow!

ALL STAFF at LHR have to endure the search process! So we grit our teeth, keep stum, and quietly comply with the requests from the security staff, who are just doing they're job.

Most of the confrontations I have witnessed at LHR, have stemmed from the occasional Prima Donna (some of which are pilots), that believe the security process doesn't apply to them! The argument that because I'm a pilot and can bring down an aircraft at will, just doesn't stack up! Once airside anyone including pilots have access to any aircraft, including ones they're not flying.

I know the security process is infuriating! It's something we have to endure and yes some of them are Jobsworths but there is never anything to be gained from arguing with them! Remember, when you're arguing and telling the security guard you need special treatment, everyone watching just think you're an eejut!

SECURITY APPLIES TO EVERYONE

I have a mantra that I say to myself when getting stressed with security,

"If they were intelligent, they wouldn't be able to do their job".

I know it doesn't apply to all of them but it always makes me feel better when I say it! Just don't say it to their face