PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 21st Apr 2015, 07:41
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with your first paragraph, SB, 110%!

But I feel the last sentence points to where we need to figure out how to fix the current state of affairs. The issue spans disciplines and regimes. For the loss of basic flying skills, airline policies on manual operation is certainly a key factor, as is current training progammes to be sure, but I feel we should also be looking at the basic design philosophies of automation and how the 'hardware' and software could be improved, particularly in the area of 'when things go wobbly'.

Automation is fantastic and has saved many a life without a doubt, but I feel the same wunderkind has been the underlying reason behind the loss of many lives as well. The stuff is great when it works, but when it dumps a recalcitrant and seemingly unwieldy aircraft in a guy's lap, a guy that hasn't been operating the actual machine that often even on a good day, he may find himself in a bad place at times. These are the times we need to focus upon - fixing not just the industry and training, but the automation philosophies as well.

What say you, my friend?