PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AoB in Base Turn
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2003, 20:40
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

If the calculated bank is greater than 30 degrees (not often, but sometimes the designers goof off and this happens)
Shame on ya for even suggesting such a thing J_T! We'd never make such a stuff-up!

Depending on the alignment of the approach - and whether or not you need to circle at the end of it - it's conceivable that you could have either a headwind or tailwind while heading outbound toward the reversal. Most times it'll be pretty easy to work out in advance, so you know that a substantially opposite effect will apply at the end of the reversal.

Now, so long as you make a reasonable allowance for head or tailwind prior to the reversal, you'll be around about the right distance away from the navaid. The distance IS the key to the radius of turn - so long as you're somewhere near that distance, a 25-degree bank turn will work out pretty nicely.

I configure the B200 for 170 knots until established inbound from the base turn. In practice, I'm actually starting to reduce thrust (and therefore speed) during the reversal. But I hold 25 degrees throughout the turn. Mostly, I'm able to roll off a bit of bank from about half way thru the turn to make a nice intercept of the inbound track.

But, basically, if you want to fly faster than that (and provided that the approach allows it, of course) a 25 degree bank turn will work out 9 times out of 10. The thing you've got going for yourself here is that the turn is protected for an omnidirectional wind of a fairly high speed. Now, remember what I said about how the wind effect is most likely to differ between the outbound and inbound leg? You're hardly likely to have a complete head or tailwind right thru the turn.

The long and the short of it is, therefore, adjust outbound timing for a head or tailwind, then initiate a 25 degree bank turn. I'm confident that you'll find it works out right... 9 times out of 10.