PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 21st Apr 2015, 01:12
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another element to the hand flying discussion that is being missed here.

To what degree does the personal responsibility to practice instrument hand flying skills fall on the individual as opposed to the airline? A lot of the non hand flying exercises we do in the sim are of great importance also.

If your airline doesn't get it and insists upon the use of automation then you have a personal and professional responsibility to practice it yourself through other means. Buy a copy of X-plane or MS FS and spend some time "nerd burgering" around. Most of this software is rubbish compared to a full flight sim but it will simulate raw data flight with plenty of authenticity, particularly if you get an aircraft that matches yours and fly it at night in IMC.

This may seem like a poor substitute for organisational training, nevertheless your personal and professional responsibility should dictate a more nuanced approach than over simplistic cynicism of the commercial imperative.

Luckily, my airline encourages the appropriate use of manual flying practice and I encourage my F/O's to do the same so they don't feel awkward asking. I also get them to practice the mouth music an Airbus go around in the event of a non stable approach, this exercise itself ends up being quite useful too.

If you have an opportunity to pass this debate on to your line management, take it. The change required is unthinkable by so many until it is of course inevitable.