PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 21st Apr 2015, 00:38
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1951 I joined a Company which had a trooping contract between UK and, via Malta to Egypt. The Flight deck crew was Captain, First Officer, Radio Officer. Plus one more, who might be a Navigator, a F/E or a Second Officer. I had some 350 hours on light a/c, all tail wheeled and without A/Ps. With a CPL and I/R, I was employed as a Second Officer, given a uniform but no information about the York. ( AND NO HEAD-SET )

A few hours after leaving Malta, the Captain invited, told or ordered me to sit in the RH Seat and fly the aircraft, as the A/P was U/S. He told me the course, cruising level and air speed... And I supposed I managed adequately for an hour. It was day time and the Sun may have helped.

After a day's rest in a "V.I.P. Tent" we flew back by night, my night flying a little bit harder for "My hour".

Most of the troops may never have flown before and so not have noticed my lack of skill or smoothness. ( No extra sick bags were used.)

After several trips, during one of "MY Hours " we flew into a hidden Cb at night with all the flashes and static. The Captain told me to remain " reasonably straight and reasonably level ..." rather than trying to remain perfect.

(Radar would not be available for several years.) .

Last edited by Linktrained; 21st Apr 2015 at 00:55. Reason: Cb