PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 20th Apr 2015, 21:17
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be entirely content with the pilots being treated differently from me - whether officially by different rules or by discretion being exercised.
the reasoning behind sending flight crews through those "security checks" is that it makes passengers feel safe to see that. Meanwhile, Postman Pat who brings the mail to be loaded into the aircraft every day, happily driving around on the apron, doesn't get been bothered with such "ckecks". In theory, he could get searched, but it hasn't happened even once in 20 years. Unless he enters the terminal where the passengers are, to empty the mailbox there, then he also gets to endure the same procedure.

In summer, he plays football (an officially santioned tournament) on the grass 100m from the runway, with the airport police, the firefighters, and all the good guys (no, the "security" have never been invited), followed by a barbecue party. Nice world, I envy him. And yes, he could hide a lot of things in that mail that gets loaded into the aircraft. Or steal something. But hey, he's doing his job, and trust is a powerful thing. I trust him, and think it's good he doesn't get annoyed by routine searches.

Last edited by deptrai; 20th Apr 2015 at 21:36.