PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 20th Apr 2015, 20:51
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StP
Whether he should have been arrested or not is perhaps a matter that Flying Lawyer would like to comment on?
Like everyone else here, I'm not in a position to offer a comment of any value. The information currently available is far too limited to do so.
I have no idea whether the circumstances were such that it was reasonable/unreasonable of security to involve the police, nor whether it was reasonable/unreasonable of the police who attended to arrest the pilot.
By way of general comment only -
It is an unfortunate fact of life that some people use common sense when given power and some don't. Time will tell whether that is relevant here.

My original point was the apparent inconsistency that some have with their points of view depending on who we're dealing with, that's all.
Is that unreasonable?
As a passenger, I readily understand why some airline pilots feel indignant about security procedures.

I would be entirely content with the pilots being treated differently from me - whether officially by different rules or by discretion being exercised.
That would include being allowed to take items on board which I, as a passenger, am not. eg Pilots have access to a crash axe whereas passengers do not. Seems reasonable to me.

I work on the basis that the pilots are as keen to arrive safely at our destination as I am. In the statistically extremely unlikely event that one or more of them isn't, then they don't need a knife or nail-clippers to spoil my day.