PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training as a crew - the vexed question of what seat you should occupy in an LPC/OPC
Old 20th Apr 2015, 16:12
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P & A

I guess this is one of those corners of our world where perceptions are very different according to the jurisdictions involved.

You perhaps can imagine my concern when I was asked to investigate some horrible offshore landings caught on CCTV in far off part of the globe. The problem seemed to be copilot oriented so I began to look more deeply into it.

The pilots concerned had generally obtained their TR at a US or European ATO. In Europe for sure the pilot would have received his rating, SP or MP, in the RHS so there was perception that the LPC/OPC should also be conducted in the RHS ( I have yet to clarify if this is actually required or whether there is flexibility here). In order to prepare for the LPC/OPC the copilot would occupy the RHS in his recurrent training 'rehearsal' and when his turn for any LOFT training would do the same.

Given that the line training given was set at the minimum it was them quite possible that the poor guy had never actually received any simulator schooling on the niceties of the offshore approach and landing from his normal crew station.

Now you can call me an old fusspot that's wasting everyone's time but I reckon if I can ensure that the recurrent training received is both relevant and sufficient then we may be able to make a difference. To do that I have to better understand what is happening out there.

There is also the possibility that having been scared to death by a newbie the captain is solving the problem with cross-cockpit landings. Either way I need to understand this situation better and feedback like yours is adding to my understanding and is greatly appreciated.

In particular the question arises when you have to accept a LHS landing by your 200 hour newbie because you took a HEMS shout that took you to a difficult and unexpected location. That can be a test of nerves for that sort of landing means that you inevitably will not be able to see the landing area. (don't let on about that - just our little secret, I would hate the bears to know that we can't see that helideck if the copilot is doing the landing.) Can you imagine the captain of a 747 announcing to his passengers on final approach to Heathrow "well ladies and gentleman we are shortly landing at our destination so I'm handing over to the co pilot because I won't be able to see the runway." :-)

G