PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unreliable airspeed jet transport aircraft
Old 20th Apr 2015, 14:26
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For intruder I might add that at or near max altitude, a pitch attitude of anything between 2 and 4 degrees pitch up might save you from falling out of the sky.
...which is a BIG difference from your initial 10 degree pitch recommendation...

As Broomstick noted, knowing a ballpark pitch and fuel flow for level flight is an even better idea. For the 744, the 2.5/2.5 rule works fine at lighter weights (I use 320T as a ballpark discriminator between "light" and "heavy"), and 3.0 on the fuel flow when heavy. If you can't get to the lower EICAS ENGINE page right away, start with 90% N1. Within 0.5 degree pitch and 0.5 T/hr fuel flow (likely within the "jitter" of manual flight when in extremis), that works at any altitude when clean. You may climb or descend a bit, but your airspeed and vertical speed will be controllable.

What too many people fail to realize is that if airspeed fails airborne, the "Don't-a touch-a nothin'!" rule will usually work for the initial assessment. If the FMS fails, bringing down the VNAV, LNAV, and Autothrottles, the last thrust setting will likely still be active; and if the autopilot was on, the reversion to pitch- and heading-hold modes should keep you flying for a long time.

VERY few "emergencies" need IMMEDIATE action to the extent that a few seconds of thought will be detrimental. Even when I was flying single-engine A-4s off the carrier, an engine failure off the catapult was about the only emergency that fit that definition. When I was an instructor in that airplane, we stressed to the new students that the FIRST action in any other emergency was to wind the clock. That gave a couple seconds pause to figure out what was REALLY wrong...