PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots - Unprofessional?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2015, 13:49
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds as though you may have attended ATCA-GYR? If so, they have a uniform now although not quite as prescriptive as the more commercial schools nearby. My view is that if you aspire to employment as an airline pilot (in Europe certainly) you will have to wear a company uniform. You will be judged as to how you wear that uniform, believe me, and if you are unused to wearing a belt to keep your trousers up, putting on a tie (albeit a clip-on) at 0300 in semi-darkness whilst trying not to wake your partner prior to an early report, keeping your (non-ballet pumps (and I've seen the girls wearing these many times but some of the shoes the blokes wear aren't much better)) shoes clean, and reasonably polished, pushing your epaulets onto their straps the right way around and not-clipping your name badge and tie-clip on upside down (even if it does resemble the Nike flash), you will stand out. As said, you will be judged long before you have a chance to demonstrate your superior technical knowledge or supreme flying ability whether at interview, base/line training or on the job (so to speak). Airlines do not employ branding managers and consultants for their customer facing staff (all airline jobs are effectively customer facing even if your interaction is limited to flying them to their destination and communicating via a P.A.) to not wear the uniform the company has provided you with (even at Easy & RYR) to act as an ambassador for your employer in the promotion of safety, integrity, standards and revenue generation. There are expectations that actually go beyond professionalism if you work as an airline pilot and if it is required that a uniform be worn during training, there will be a good reason for this - perhaps consider wearing it properly as an integral part of your primary training that will set you in good stead for the rest of your career in more ways than one.

And by the way, it's not just the girls that let themselves down.

Good Luck - you sound like you've got the right attitude (unless your a troll of course?).