PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 20th Apr 2015, 13:34
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STP--I'm scoffing. A lot.

Even the US TSA--which is rightfully scoffed at from time to time--has some reasonability factor. A simple 'oops,' "please take away whatever I can't be trusted with" look into the situation a bit and press.

The irony of the mindless drones grabbing tools is priceless. And the tabloids lost no time in bringing up the German thing; something which has no relevance or connection whatsoever.

There are plenty of things which will always be present on any aircraft forever which can be used as a weapon if desired by a miscreant (or even a good guy defending against a miscreant)--as (if not more) effective than a knife or 'sharp object.' So throwing a pilot in jail--the same guy that would be FLYING the airplane--is silly. We used to carry our leathermans all the time; something that is sorely missed when a minor repair is needed.

In fact, in his excellent book "Fate is the Hunter" E.K. Gann refers to firearms that commercial pilots were required to carry when transporting the mail in the DC-3 days. Seems that people with responsibility were more trusted with tools and sharp objects not all that long ago. And there were good guys and bad guys then too.

Seems like the world I used to know went insane when I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by Shep69; 20th Apr 2015 at 13:53.