PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 20th Apr 2015, 11:57
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A case for NATO MPA to patrol long African Med. coastline.

Good article and for once I agree in a small way with Farage.
Farage: Cameron must take some blame for migrant deaths in Mediterranean | Politics | The Guardian

RAF and other NATO members did bomb seven bells out of Libya, partially helping the rebels to achieve what we have now-the destruction of a functioning state and creating an almighty ungovernable violent rabble with thousands of miles of lawless coastline at the gate of civilization (Europe)which they cant seem to control.
From which attacks by Islamic terror organizations will spring eventually. At present this coastline seems to be the springboard for thousands of displaced people to try and reach Europe for a better life. Hundreds seem to be drowning in the attempt on a weekly basis now.
Wiser heads of European countries could perhaps have figured this out a few years back....still, we had CameronandSarcozy.

My badly made point is, perhaps a few potential leaders are hinting in this Grad article we may have to do more to either stop or help this growing band of Med crossers. My long shot guess whats left of UK mil somehow get redrafted back to somehow do something.
Hercules aircraft as spotter planes (because they have the range and endurance to run from Gibraltar? The remaining LPD as a picker-upper of flotsam? In conjunction with other NATO forces?
Something's got to be done. How many will drown before we help?

* Ok, not thousands of miles but a bleeding good stretch of coastline.