PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me i'm wrong...Military vs Civi street
Old 19th Apr 2015, 19:37
Clever Richard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratodoesgato,

A good question to which there is no simple 'one size fits all' answer. Military pilots can be a cheap method of recruiting for civilian companies, particularly when times are hard. However, many companies like to recruit a mix of pilots for a variety of reasons. The drawdown of most nations' armed forces over the last few years, which shows no signs yet of slowing down, means future military outflow will not meet the needs of projected civilian demand. This means that civilian companies will either have to recruit more self improvers (as those funding their own licences are known) or even have to carry out their own in-house training of low hours pilots.
As an ex-military pilot I can tell you from personal experience that a self improver with the necessary ability and determination can succeed. I have been extremely impressed with many of my colleagues who have been nowhere near the military and have had my previous prejudice well and truly cured! Anyone who manages to fund their own flying to the point of gaining a CPL deserves the utmost respect.
If you really want to fly, just go for it and good luck.