PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots - Unprofessional?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 14:53
DeflectedAileron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Female Pilots - Unprofessional?

I am currently studying Aviation as a tertiary degree, where the course consists of practical as well as theoretical aspects. We are required to wear a uniform at all times while attending the Aviation Academy, where the practical is held.

As an aspiring female pilot myself, whenever I go to the academy, I always tie my hair up neatly, wear my tie and wear airport - friendly black shoes. However, what intrigues is how my fellow female students present themselves in their uniform; no ties, untied long hair and ballet flat shoes! This is very unprofessional, and not to mention, hair will get in the way during a windy preflight and a hindrance during flying! They also cover your epaulettes. Ballet shoes are also very unacceptable in my opinion in terms of professionalism.

It seems like none of them are taking aviation very seriously, dressing very sloppy for an aviator. In general, why do some female pilots (I saw some pictures on the internet) let their hair down and wear ballet shoes (are those shoes even safe)? I don't think aviation is a profession where you flaunt your feminity.

And I apologize for any grammatical or spelling errors; English is not my first language.