PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now, where did we put those RN Harriers?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 13:48
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would a Black Buck mission look in 2015? Of course the idea is not to lose the islands in the first place now, and even if that happened, Tomahawk or Harpoon (naval type) attack may well be preferred, but I'm curious as to what it would look like in the modern age.

I know there have been threads on this before, but the Tristar & VC10 have gone, and there are options of Tornado or Typhoon for attack (I would say bombing, but I guess missiles might be appropriate too).

I assume the Voyager can carry & dispense more fuel than the Victors, but then the attack aircraft is much different to the Vulcan. Nowhere near as many bombs, but lots of different options.

The Typhoon can be supersonic to get there and get back more quickly, but the tankers aren't. Indeed is that a correct statement re the Typhoon with a war-load of ground attack munitions? Typhoon fully bombed up, long range attack, what would be the optimum speed? Could you reasonably use more than one aircraft?

Just curious, and certainly not looking for anything other than public domain info.