PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Test Pilot
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 12:59
Tester78

Another point to consider is that European flight test training (Cat A or B) candidates should be looking at the schools that have EASA FTO approval, and whose courses comply with the EASA Flight Test Rating syllabus. Training elsewhere risks failing to obtain the FTR, which I think will become increasingly important in the future.

Also, the 'big four' military schools are exactly that; their first priority is training their government customers. 'Commercial' customers could be bumped from the course at quite late notice in favour of the core business, which can be a problem if you've made significant arrangements to attend.

The commercial test pilot schools are probably more able to provide modularised training and perhaps spreading of cost, but you'd need to speak to them.

And yes, it's quite possible to progress from design engineer to experimental test pilot, all within a major manufacturer.

Recceguy,

In flight test we obtain data before drawing conclusions. The same in recce, I would have thought? But thanks for your, um, tuppence worth. I've PM'd you.