PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 12:58
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Training! Training! Training!

If "judgment" is a skill set that can be acquired or improved with training, as the FAA maintains, it should be the majority of the training time. If it's not a trainable subject, a fair few EMSers need to be replaced.
Judgment kills pilots, especially EMS pilots.

Training! Training! Training!
I don't need to memorize all the parameters of my aircraft. Almost all I need are marked on the gauge with green, yellow and red lines. I don't need to know runway gradient, I haven't been on a runway in years (it was a training event then) and I was last at an airport in January. These are regular training subjects for me...
We don't do "LAHSO", devoting a whole training segment is a complete waste of time. Time that the FAA says could be spent teaching "judgment".

Changing weather minimums to a million and infinity is no better than 800-2 when it doesn't change the next PICs decision to fly into darkness where he can't see lights to discover it's in a cloud. On the other hand, I've flown, VFR, hundreds of thousands of offshore miles in 300/2 with only 2 IIMC events, both of which were easily judgment preventable. (Because I always had a diversion or landing point within reach.) But, hey- increasing minimums has to increase safety, right? And add engines. And Autopilots. Twins and IFR crews exercise bad judgement at the same frequency, there's just a lot less of'em here.

I go to our training base to fly in conditions that 75% of my colleagues will never, ever operate in- the high plains. They are installing full motion sims there (which I hate but applaud as a training asset), and when I fly them I will be flying into airports I will never operate in. The approaches are in digital form, how much trouble is it to load the appropriate approach and practice that?

And there it is: generic training driven by inapplicable fixed requirements.

On the other hand, 75% of my colleagues do operate in unique environments. Maybe some of them could be consulted on training or be local trainers? (ladder safety?? Ladder safety is a training topic?) Perhaps they could teach the importance of relative humidity after midnight in the Smoky Mountains. Or they could teach that adding 5 minutes to a transit leg to make an early diversion around a potential weather system is a better plan than feeling your way through a squall line (22.6 nm diversion at the midpoint of the 100 nm leg).

Even if 'judgment' can't be trained, the factors that contribute could be trained... And perhaps numbnuts won't put the aircraft into the position of flying into darkness.