PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Test Pilot
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 12:15
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the subject of advising Inquisitive about his intended career route, then the question to ask is could inquisitive follow Izzys career path?

I would say probably not, as he/she (that is inquisitive) has to face the prospect of first funding the training for a frozen "ATPL", I would say the one thing which contributed to Izzy been able to self fund ETPS was the fact she was a fully funded Cadet at BA. Now that in itself is quite an achievement considering the numbers that used to apply for the scheme. As I pointed out a cadet from the new BA FPP scheme has a 84000 loan taken out in their own name; this I would assume would severely limit the ability to fund further training in such a short time scale as Izzy did.

I am making no dispersions on Izzys capability, it is apparent she is capable at what she does (probably a fair better pilot than I ever will be). But realistically someone coming into the system now would be unlikely to follow the same route unless they had serious private financial backing.

The truth is I don't think she can be used as an example or role model a what can be achieved to younger people because the same opportunities no longer exist in the same form anymore.

Irrespective the primary reason she is where she is was the capability to self fund ETPS, not through demonstrating excellence as an Engineer working at an Aerospace company.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 19th Apr 2015 at 12:55.