PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching for the IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2015, 08:42
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where you're getting that from. An IMC or IR(R) rating is perfectly valid in the UK on EASA aircaft, just not valid outside the UK.
An IMC Rating can only be held on a UK national licence and these are only valid for LAPL privileges on EASA aircraft.

RTN11, from what you had written I had assumed you had an actual Part-FCL Licence however, since you now state you have an expired "SPA-ME-IR", then I would now assume you have a JAA (deemed to be EASA) Licence.

Could you please point me at any document that states that holders of JAA licence with an IMC rating included in it, is no longer valid! When the JAA licence is replaced, the IMC if valid will be replaced with an IR(R), but there are still a good many JAA (now deemed to be EASA licences) that contain IMC ratings and indeed are being used in EASA aircraft.
Since an IMC Rating cannot be held on an EASA Licence then this must also be deemed to be an IR(R).

I did say "Pedantic Semantics', but I have found that to be most necessary when dealing with all matters EASA.

It is the SPA-IR that is being renewed, not the class rating, so no problem
It is likely that the rating was first earned on an MEP, which would have included SEP privileges, but, in any event, all that is required is to renew the IR privileges - the nature of those privileges is determined by the aircraft on which the proficiency check is conducted
I know it is nothing to do with the actual Class Rating but this was the nub of my question given that 'IR-SP-ME class/SE' is exactly how the IR is written in the 'Section XII Certificate of Revalidation' part of a Part-FCL Licence.

Think about it this way - does the holder of an SPA-ME-IR have to pass another IR skill test to extend the privileges of his IR to a MPA type? No, he has to pass a type rating skill test which includes revalidation or renewal of the IR with MPA privileges on the specific type.
Sorry BB, I think this paragraph is full of holes:
Yes the holder of an SPA-ME-IR does have to pass a Skill Test to obtain an MPA-IR. Certainly the IR element of the Skill Test is contained within the Type Rating test (which is why MPA-IRs are Type specific?). As it was a Skill Test the Rating will need to be issued, for a fee, by the CAA. Once held the MPA-IR can be Revalidated or Renewed alongside the Type Rating Proficiency Checks.