PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Apr 2015, 15:53
Alison Conway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a 1st tourist engineer I first came across A-Z with a crew consisting of a very experienced captain (let's call him Robbie with a perm) a ex-VC10 captain now co-pilot (acting S/L now Flt Lt) and a nav who I cannot remember (cue episodic memory, Kilwhang). On rotate Andy called the inevitable "Errrmegencee, Errrmegencee, Captain, you have hearrrt attack" He had been briefed of course, and became limp (but laughing like a drain). The co-pilot now had to take command, and it went rapidly downhill from there! Just as he muttered those immortal words "I have control" No 4 engine had a fire warning with all the attendant hooting and lights. "Fire No4" calls I, whereon the Co looks up and pulls the No4 Fire T handle (the drill had only just been changed) He had barely got the aircraft under control, and the indications had disappeared, when he said "I suppose we had better do the subsequent actions, Nav..read the drill". The Nav said "Fire Control handle" he looked up and before I could re-act said "Damn, I didn't pull the T Handle" and then pulled No 3 T Handle making us DOUBLE assymetric. The Captain at this time looked like he might actually HAVE a heart attack laughing. I set us up for an immediate re-light, but the co wouldn't have it. We struggled round for a landing (although it certainly wasn't pretty) and that was the end of the sortie! Front to back approximately 45 mins. I was curtly told I would not be required for the debrief, but my screen told me there was about to be blood letting. Not that long after I had the good fortune to work with him in the sim as an instructor, but still maintain he made it up as he went along. It made for some interesting times.