PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Apr 2015, 13:46
kilwhang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sqn Ldr Andrus.......

Smuj, I've spent a bit of time trying to trace his book but with no luck. It is possible that it was written by someone else - if it was written at all.

Here is a quick precis of what he told us. Remember, this is almost 40 years ago and my episodic memory is not what it was..........

In the summer of 1939 the Polish Armed Forces were equipped with kit that wasn't 'state of the art'. They were certainly no match for the might of Germany. As the invasion progressed, it was obvious that there was only going to be one winner.
The Polish government made an agreement with the aggressors that their forces would stop fighting and hand over their weapons.

Andy was a fighter pilot at the time (flying bi-planes, I think) and, along with some of his mates, wasn't too happy about surrendering. A group of them flew south to Hungary and 'after a few mishaps' made it to France, where they joined the French Air Force.

Soon afterwards the French surrendered so Andy flew to the UK and joined the RAF.

Andy didn't say what he did during the war years and skipped to the late 40's when he was flying transport aircraft.

I know he was on Beverleys and, amongst other things, was involved during the setting up of the ALM Branch. I believe he was one of the first ALM Checkers and did that until there were enough experienced ALMs to take over.
Perhaps AA62 or one of the other 'senior' Loadies could confirm or deny that.

He was, also, part of the 'Polish Government-in-Exile' (for those who don't know what that is, it's worth a Google search).

Andy could appear a bit intimidating at first but I always found him very approachable and, as Brian 48nav says, a thorough gentleman.

If anyone out there can add to this, I'm sure we'd all appreciate that.

And, of course, he has his own entry in the C130K lexicon:

Ermegency! Ermegency!