PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all those looking for a new job.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2015, 12:57
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
CVs

I'm not a frequent employer but I do get a lot of CVs across my desk. Mine might be a bit of a different view than many, but. I don't care too much if its long or short. I appreciate that every applicant is submitting what they think is best. After all, they are trying to get them self a first job. My suggestion is directed more so, at guys and gals trying to get a start, and not actually responding to advertised criteria. I think a photo helps me recollect the applicant, and that's quite important if you've made a good impression and some time has passed. To be perfectly honest, most can comfortably do the "flying" job. I do respect that previous work experience such as Maccas, KFC, etc. it gives me an indication of how the flying training was perhaps funded. Previous work experience lets me know that the candidate is more likely to demonstrate a sense of ownership in the business, and demonstrate more initiative. I've experienced it repeatedly. If you've got some other skill, sparky, computers, carpentry etc., get it on there. Small Business owners appreciate that type of support. Don't just email a CV if at all possible. Much better to pop in, chat to the CP/CFI. Its hard to leave a memorable impression off a CV alone. Whatever happens folks. Be prepared to put a couple of years into it if you have to. Don't give up. It does work out. If your truly convinced that you can make a contribution, and don't give up, you will succeed. unfortunately your into it at a tough time, where CP/CFIs are under a lot of pressure, and there's not a lot of growth. Time and money are tight. There is light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think its a locomotive. Ive seen it for decades, it always works out OK!