PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2015, 02:23
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine any airline in todays world with 2 to 3 thousand pilots supplying each and and every pilot with there own full set of Jepp manuals......surely there is just a set on each plane with maybe a couple of sets in the office for reference material?!?!?!
Welcome to Japan

Further your imagination with the joy of the weekly updates, where China seems to delight in issuing changes just for the fun of it and we get to sit there switching over bits of toilet paper. For the Japanese it's even worse; they highlight their charts like kids colouring books and then they have to do more drawing with the weekly changes

We don't have iPads, we have Apids (ANA/AJX Pilot Intelligence Devices)....I kid you not. They do look remarkably similar to the iPad Air and we have the Jepp app installed. Most of us have done the groundschool and simulator 'training' necessary to use the Apid but we are waiting for the crusty old men in the Ministry to give us the go-ahead for trials in the aircraft. Obviously, during this 'trial' we will also carry our other manuals. It sounds like no-one else has ever used them in actual flight, so we must be the trailblazers and that's the reason for all the delays and nonsense in using them . IF the JCAB finds the Apids are an acceptable replacement for the abacus and quills we might be allowed to use them all the time and get rid of all the paper that clutters up our flight bags. As Dom says, the prediction is Mar 2016 but I'm not holding my breath. We've had Apids for over 2 years already, so read into that what you will with the forward-thinking, modern, JCAB