PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Selection
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 15:33
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOTD

But surely that's my point. Someone has done a good job on a soft-hearted regulator and convinced them that it's in the industry's interests to have access to pilots who have achieved the (min for serious players) magic 500 hours courtesy of allowing them to teach newbies. Of course nobody thought to say "but that means we have the blind leading the blind". They got that bit all wrong.

I know you will come back and say "but how do we grow youngsters from 150 hours to that magic figure?" Well I have to say that the helicopter industry has to be one of the most innovative industries in the world and if we cannot find a solution then we have no hope. Of course no operator will volunteer to pay the bill for the necessary training required to create an affordable co-pilot when someone else can be persuaded to pick up the bill. (as I have said earlier nobody I explain the current system to - where newly qualified pilots are allowed to qualify as instructors and then teach the next generation - can believe we can be that crazy).

If I was a cartoonist I would draw a picture of the operator as a tailor fitting the regulator with a new suit that is two sizes too big. They are standing in front of the mirror with the operator saying "there you are sir, a perfect fit", while holding a fistful of material in the small of his 'customer's' back. When the regulator looks in the mirror it looks like a good deal. A view from the front show a lapel badge with the word 'SUCKER' on it.

G

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 17th Apr 2015 at 21:36. Reason: clarification