PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Selection
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 15:30
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:
Why not?
Only for the reasons already mentioned about the cost to an individual of getting all those hours, and the also valid point that the people with lots of hours expect higher wages than many flying schools seem to offer.
Actually, that is the why. Buying the time is no longer an option so hours need to be worked. The system (industry) will find a way if it must.

And yes, wages go up to attract the experience needed.
===========
My personal take on the question of "is experience needed" is this:

A newly licenced FI can certainly repeat the lessons he was taught, the manoeuvres as written and what is in the textbook, which will suffice to pass an exam. He will not have the intangibles that TourqueOfTheDevil spoke about. Those intangibles make a difference. They are what will keep the newly licenced student from having an accident in those first hours of work.

Also, I know that as I entered the instructional role I gained great insight from talking to the older/more experienced A1/A2's (military) and working part-time instructors (civil). Their advice and mentorship allowed me to do my job more effectively and efficiently (so better value for the customer/student's money) by helping me learn the tricks of the trade. It is a trade in itself.

Again, back to the OP. The progression in the large ME-IFR operation should start with Line Training Captain before progression to TRI, etc. Learn to walk before running....