PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Surveillance Radar Approach
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 12:09
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to correct an impression left by some, an SRA approach would be used with a surveillance radar providing horizontal position only.

In all the ones I ever flew or witnessed from the radar room, the pilot would be vectored to a point 6 miles from touchdown on the centre line, and advised to be at 2100 QFE, and to start a 3 degree descent at that point. The pilot had to know what that meant in fpm at the aircraft's approach speed.

From that point also the pilot would listen but not respond to the controller. Heading changes would be advised (eg right 10 degrees) as the controller struggled to keep the aircraft on the centreline in whatever wind was effective.

At each mile point the controller would advise the required height QFE and the pilot would correct the RoD as needed.

In my experience the guidance would be terminated at 2 miles, and if you were still in cloud you would break off and go away.

It is, however, a very long time since I did one!

What was a real challenge for a controller, and a test of accurate flying skill and nerve for a pilot, was the QGH approach, especially if, as a legendary ATCO at Sywell used to do, the controller was doing several at the same time.