PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FINALLY :D
Thread: FINALLY :D
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 12:00
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and Thing, you always have a moan about gliding
No I don't, gliding in general is a great sport. How many times have I favoured the view that PPL studes should solo on a glider first? I'm simply stating a fact that as you say, people tend to turn up and fly then go home at powered clubs whereas at gliding clubs you are thrown together all day with all sorts of people. I know you've never met me but I can assure you that I can spot an argument brewing from 100 paces and prefer to walk away.

I just got fed up with feeling embarassed for visitors on trial flights etc when yet another 'You don't tow the cables out like that' 'Yes I do I've been here 452 years and that's the way we do it' spat brews up and sadly it's usually the older members who do it. Then there's always the guy/gal who like the sound of their own voice and shouts criticism across an airfield at someone to let people know that they are important. I'm sure not all clubs are like that but I've been a member of four in different parts of the country and that's been my experience.

I love gliding, 95% of the people involved are great but you have to interact with the numpties, who tend to be the loudest and most opiniated. I used to be able to ignore them but I'm too old and too fed up with folk who do their damndest to spoil what should be an enjoyable and relaxed day out for people; so I just don't put myself in that situation anymore. In a powered club you just turn up and fly; land, fill out the tech log and go home if you want to, or you can interact around the t bar and swap stories. Which is often as good if not better than actually aviating sometimes.

There are faults on both sides, I just wish we could all get on together.
I think that people do generally. There will always be an 'us and them' camp though which is puerile nonsense and does this great sport of aviation that we belong to no favours at all.

But the difference between a gliding club and a power flying organisation is that we do get to know each other very well and make friends
Incredible though it may seem, that can happen at a powered club as well...

Last edited by thing; 17th Apr 2015 at 12:48.