PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More on NAS
Thread: More on NAS
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2003, 15:47
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally understand what NAS is all about.

NAS is all about PAYING for "SAFETY".

The structure will be like the US model except for the vast areas of G airspace. G airspace is now bequeath to the small IFR operator, and the pond scum VFR's.

The E airspace base levels of 8500/14500 feet eliminate most of your non-pressurised aircraft that might possibly wish to partake in the benefits of the airspace. If, as an operator or pilot, you plan to enter E airspace, IFR, you will PAY for the "priviledge" of a clearance, separation, flight information, SAR etc. and the of course, the SAFETY.

Otherwise you stay in G and get nothing. But it SHOULD cost you nothing.

So, if you've currently operated IFR YORG to YCTM at 10000 feet, you've paid enroute costs for the ATS services - all the way, and you've got yourself a shiney clearance. Under NAS you should only PAY if you go above 8500 feet. Get your clearance, get the appropriate services and get the SAFETY.

Otherwise, go at 8000 feet, it will be G all the way and you SHOULDN'T have to PAY a cent. Pretty good deal, even though you're on your own. It's all about choice.

There may be a frequency to monitor so you can work out your own traffic. We've already been set up to get our own Area QNH, so no probs there.

This is a bargain for Airservices - they won't have to staff for the G airspace they are handing over to you, the pilot. You can rejoice - no longer having to listen to the boring chatter of the airliners. Because the cubic metreage of G airpace will be huge, AsA will be able to eliminate many low level enroute positions. A great saving for the industry. More rejoicing.

The low level E corridors can be absorbed into the operations of the high level sectors, and although the E procedures may cause a few delays from time to time, we can all be satisfied that the E users are only PAYING for the SAFETY they can NOW afford.

The rest of the IFR's can sneak around the E airspace or tool through VFR without bothering anyone.

It's a win win situation.

CG

Er, excuse me while I check the spin cycle

http://www.casa.gov.au/hotopics/media_rel/03-06-13.htm