PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR in Scotland or Poland
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 10:48
marcus1290

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally 100% agree with what parkfell is saying.

You were extremely lucky to have the opportunity to land and clear the ice. What if you were flying over the Atlantic or the North pole. You can't just land. From my experience, IFR flying is all done in the planning stage. If you don't plan for ice, then you'll have a very hard time flying when you encounter it. For me, that clearly shows that the quality of instruction is well below par in Poland. You wouldn't get away with landing and beating off the ice in the UK. Ice levels and actions incase of encountering ice have to be planned for. If that was an exam in the UK, it would have been a straight fail. I don't understand why people would want to to their IR in an aircraft not equipped for icing. Tayside aviation have just bought a twin tencnam with no deice and i just can't get my head round it.

Also, i THINK someone commenting on this thread is a high placed CAA examiner who does IR tests. I would recommend you take advice given.

Back to the OP, go and see Allan Falconer at ACS, he'll give you all the info you require.

One last comment, having the attitude that
happens I guess
is the wrong attitude to have in aviation. doesn't happen. Bad planning happens.