PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud Seeding Cessna 310 Moorabbin 1980's
Old 17th Apr 2015, 02:40
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Hailstop:

Great photos! Enjoyed your descriptions too, I'd hardly call it "blabbing on".

My recollections of cloud seeding in WA in the late 60's would indicate we used quite different procedures. Winter seeding out of Perth comprised of flying around in the +2/-2C temperature range in cloud, burning silver-iodide (?) out of burners slung under the wings. This was in a B55 (VH-CFJ, the former VH-BIB) with full airframe/prop de-icing but no radar. If nothing else it taught me a lot about instrument flying and operating in icing conditions (and also just how strong a Baron airframe was).

There was also a summer seeding programme out of Meekatharra in a C55 (VH-CFG), a real "punishment posting" if ever there was one. The theory was that you'd find a towering Cu or Cb and fly (and seed) under the base; of course weeks would pass without actually seeing any cloud of any form! Meekatharra itself was a dump, the hotel was dreadful (no air-conditioning for us), the rest of my crew (2 of 3 "Cloud Seeding Officers" employed by the State Government) were constantly bickering amongst themselves and there was little to do. I ended up inventing excuses to go flying just to relieve the tedium.