PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve the phraseology
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 00:16
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ShotOne
Michael hasn't complained that anyone's making a big deal about this. But from a new aspiring pilot and non native English speaker, his is a very reasonable request. Frankly I'm baffled by your earlier post, BPF, about basic flying skills and busted nose wheels. Such skills may well " take precedence" if that phrase means anything in this context. But they aren't what we've been asked about here. Are you suggesting that using correct RT makes a busted nose wheel more likely?

In my experience pilots who are conscientious in one area, are also careful in others, so Michael ought to be commended for striving to get it right rather than told it doesn't really matter.
I have personal experience as an instructor, of PPL students fixating on what to say on the radio to the detriment of learning the foundation skills and knowledge that are required to be able to effective control an airplane. This occurs either because they are intimidated by the thought of having to talk on the radio or because they think they "good" pilots have to sound like a British Airways Captain. Either way they are fixating on something that is not flight safety critical. Not landing on your nose wheel is flight safety critical.

Based on what the OP wrote he has already figured out what he needs to say and how to say it.