PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2015, 20:06
Danny42C

Pete,

Thanks for the kind offer, but when I first put this my lapse of memory on this Thread, someone had the "gen" on the "Edmunds Trainer". Seems it was an attempt to teach deflection shooting in a Link Trainer by aiming at a model aircraft, pushed across in front of you on a sort of handcart at a distance at which the model would represent a range of 250yds.

Trouble was, the handcart bit worked, butI don't think the inventor could ever have "flown" a Link. You pressed the rudder a little, nothing happened. You pressed a bit harder - it flew round like a whirling Dervish ! (good fun, but how did we ever win the war ?) Small world: three years later I worked with a Wg. Cdr. Edmondes at Cannanore, seems that "Edmondes" had been corrupted into "Edmonds", then "Edmunds" - he was our man (but I didn't know that at the time).

Now look at Page 345 #6891 on this Thread. The gauntlet I cast down at the end has never been picked up. You are a researcher par excellence. This picture has been published many times - but never an explanation of the wire hoop.

What is it, please ?

Hopeful, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th Apr 2015 at 00:57. Reason: Typo