PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HRH Princess Margaret East African Tour 1956
Old 16th Apr 2015, 19:28
pzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warmtoast

Thanks for reply, 'the Townsend Tour' is a reference to the commonly held view that this tour was designed to ensure that HRH had 'space' to forget Townsend

My folks were based in Tabora at that time, Dad was an ATCO and obviously involved at the 'Drome', and with them being low down on the pecking order and Dad at the 'Drome' Mum was off the luncheon list so she was enlisted into the Tanganyika Police and became HRH's chauffeuse

Your routing for her outward journey is interesting, would this have something to do with an Egyptian Colonel?

As you say she visited Mauritius using RY Brittannia sailing from Mombasa and returning via Zanzibar to disembark in Dar es Salaam to then tour Tanganyika using a Queens Flight Heron and then departing EA from Uganda on a BOAC Argonaut
Meanwhile RY Britannia returned to Mombasa and had about a week to wait for the Duke of Edinburgh to arrive from UK prior to heading off for Melbourne and the '56 Olympics

What I have so far had difficulty with is the 'logisitics' of HRH's transfer to the BOAC a/c in Entebbe - was this the same a/c that brought the Duke from the UK (with him taking the QF Heron on to Mombasa) or a different a/c?

I currently have small set of photo's (5) that show G-ALHD Ajax in Entebbe in late '56, in two them the Duke of Edinburgh can be seen and in a third Princess Margaret but cannot confirm the exact date/s for these photo's

Planemike
Thanks, should have remembered about the Macchi, I have the book!!! Also remember seeing at least one of them in Tabora (& possibly Zanzibar)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)