PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would happen if air travel became expensive again?
Old 16th Apr 2015, 19:26
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phileas Fogg

Nice that you enjoyed SAS. I'm a bit proud of it, though I know it has undergone some major structural changes with Norwegian as a tough competitor. The pilots and other crew had to take some salary cuts and I can imagine that's nothing they are very enjoyed about. Still, I believe that SAS being such a global brand name, it does have some pride and standard to achieve.

The reason I mentioned the Airline Who Must Not Be Named was that it has, in fact never had fatalities. SAS has. The worst disaster was the Linate (on of the Milano airports) disaster in Oct 2001, so I believe not many have heard about it. One of the MD-80s collided with a small plane that was totally lost and ended up on the runway when the SAS plane took off. The investigation discovered that Linate was extremely very below average regarding taxiway lines, lights, naming conventions, markings and other thing that one might use to navigate an airport. Some taxiways were referred to as aprons and taxiways and one apron was referred to as the big apron, the north apron or the large apron. And on it went. So, as a little relief, the SAS pilots did nothing wrong and actually managed to fly the plane for about 10 seconds before crashing into a building after colliding with the small plane. The small plane pilots were not allowed to operate in foggy conditions, visibility below 500m, which was the case for that particular day.

The accident we had before that was Gottröra. Everyone survived but the plane broke up in three pieces.