PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud Seeding Cessna 310 Moorabbin 1980's
Old 16th Apr 2015, 14:51
Hailstop3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cloud seeding in Tassie still goes on to this day. Last I heard Fugro had the contract using acetone burner type setups on a Conquest.
Cloud seeding | Hydro Tasmania

As for the SEQ seeding, it was done in the summer of 2007-08 with a PA31T from Weather Modification Inc (google it for info, American company from North Dakota), in conjuction with South African atmospheric scientists and meteorologists who used an AC690 for research runs. It was a Qld Govt funded exercise to see if rainfall could be redirected to fall in the dam catchment as at the time, the dam levels were under 20% and all the rainfall was falling on Brisbane, but not within the catchment. Not long after/during the program, the drought broke itself and the dams were full again and the rest is history.

I personally haven't cloud seeded in Australia, but I did work in Saudi Arabia flying C90s on Rain enhancement programs from 2008-2010 with Weather Modification Inc. and in Canada in the 2009 and 2010 seasons on Hail Suppression missions. The most amazing, interesting and challenging flying I have done to date. I think I may be one of the few pilots in Australia to fly into an LP Supercell on purpose, which I think is a little bit cool. Some may call it stupid, but to you King Air pilots out there, I can assure you those aircraft are built like a brick ****house in the wing department.

Supercell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what an LP Supercell looks like up close.

Most top seeding missions (using ejectable AgI flares) would consist of many penetrations into the 'feeder cells', the crisp popcorn looking part of the main cell where the growth occurs. This was to deliver the seeding agent directly into the updrafts of the cell.
On this particular LP supercell, we made one penetration and got pounded so violently, it is indescribable, only to say it is severe turbulence in the true sense of the word and like a mule is kicking your seat constantly. This was done in the very early stages of its growth so we were not aware what it was going to develop into, and therefore had no idea it would be so violent inside, it looked like any other storm cell we had seeded before, just more bold and crisp in dimension. About 1 hour later we heard more about the cell when our ground meteorologists were saying that it was the coolest cell they had seen in 15 years of weather mod and then told us what it had become. We didn't make any other penetrations on that cell and seeded it completely from clear air just banking the aircraft belly against the side of the cloud and shooting in the seeding agent from there.
This is a project on the east side of the Canadian Rockies in the Calgary-Red Deer area, and is funded 100% by insurance companies to reduce the number of claims due to hail damage each season. It is still the only wholly privately funded cloud seeding project on the planet.

Sorry to blab on and that it is a slight thread drift, but there is very few pilots who even know what cloud seeding is let alone ones I can fully share my experiences with.
The following users liked this post: