PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(R) - Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2015, 10:48
daxwax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One other consideration

I would certainly agree that doing the IR(R) was one of the best things I've done and has made me a better pilot in more general terms than just flying in IMC.

One thing that I have found is that because I fly from Stapleford slap bang between Stansted, London City, Heathrow TMA and now Southend I have found it hard to find days where I can get into real IMC without busting Class A (which starts from 2500' overhead) and/or without the cloud base being so low as to make it difficult to get back through the cloud without descending below MSA (no approved instrument approach back in to Stapleford).

I'm basically looking for a day when the cloud base is exactly between 1500' and 2000' and with no prospect of it dropping down much below that.
Of course I could always shoot an ILS into Southend if the need arose but then it starts to get costly and complicated.

I suppose all I'm saying is that depending on where you are in the country can make it harder or easier to get use out of it. But still do it.