PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick arrivals
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2015, 20:33
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tubby,

I'm afraid Fligh Radar el al gives NO appreciation of the system, the constraints or conflicts - it is NO substitute for witnessing the REAL operation and discussing the issues over a coffee (or beer after shift) with our COLLEAGUES from the 'other side'...

Vectoring over Sussex/Essex is necessary to form the approach sequence and no different to that at LL albeit LL does it from North and South rather than just the South side at KK. Vectoring, forming the sequence, is an essential part of maximising/optimising the runway capacity - hugely important to us the customers as well as the airports themselves etc....

At first descent to an Altitude we are given track miles 99% of the time with which to set up the CDA. I observe many different ways of achieving it some intelligent, some less so as you suggest. 200fpm DOES however conform with the CDA criteria, however the fault is with us pilots in less intelligent use of ATC track distance (and other data available within the flight deck) rather than ATC

I appreciate that times have been tough with your employer, you have my sympathies, I know you're employer is one I and many others would have jumped at the opportunity to join in better times, and one until recent times I personally held in high esteem...

PLEASE take Nimmer's invitation at face value (I don't know him/her - or at least don't think so..) but what I do know is there is NO greater education/understanding achieved other than visiting the coalface of the operation and meeting the great folk who work there TRYING to do their best for both us AND the system at large....

If petrol cost is the true reason for not visiting - 1. Sign up for a TRUCE and NATS will facilitate a visit upon request to the Ops room first AND will pay your petrol. 2. I believe in the relationship with the folk on the south coast so much, a one time only offer - sort a visit with Nimmer, PM me and I'll pay your actual petrol! (Genuine offer!)

So, sort a visit, go with an open mind and lots of open questions - learn, discuss your ideas and frustrations... they're ALWAYS glad to see and chat with us

Brgds
30W
(fellow pilot)