PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ullswater Lake Maule pilot not guilty
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2015, 23:20
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by N-Jacko
It may seem a "stupid stunt" to you on the basis of your personal experience, but it's a very safe, stable and essential part of a bushplane's flight envelope on the basis of mine.
Yes but bushplanes do it for a reason, that is a controlled touchdown in the shallow water just short of a gravel bar to set up the short landing. it is not a rookie move but in the hands of a very experienced pilot it is a reasonable risk for the benefit obtained.

That kind of flying has nothing to to with the "look at me I am such a SKYGOD" showboating in the middle of the lake, for no operational reason, that this thread is referring to.

I'd be interested to read the official report on the accident to which you refer.
The story was related to me by an experienced pilot I know and trust so it is admittedly second hand. Basically the guy got sideways, dipped a wing which caught the water and he ended up drowned in the upside down airplane. He was not wearing the fitted shoulder harness, so it was likely that he was knocked out during the upset and then drowned while unconscious.