PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 handling for dummies.
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2015, 16:50
C_Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A330 handling for dummies.

I am a die-hard A320 pilot, but recently I managed to have a go in an A330 FFS. While the overall experience was very similar to my good 'ole 320 and I quickly got to know my ways around the cockpit, I noticed some peculiarities, which surprised me. I would appreciate some input form A330 drivers...

1) I was a bit disappointed with the roll control of the 330. The ailerons had a lot inertia. The sim would be very slow to start rolling and then very slow to stop - it felt uncomfortable at times. Is the slugishness in roll a simulator thing, or does the real a/c behave the same? I understand that the wing of A330 is longer, heavier and has more inertia compared to the 320. However, I have flown in 747,767,787 sims before and despite being similar size a/c, they all had very crisp roll control with no perceptible inertia

2) Rudder input required after engine failure at T/O seemed much smaller compared to the A320 - like half of what I was expecting. Does the 330 has a better yaw augmentation than A320?

3) A/THR was very slow to respond to gusts - I understand bigger engines have longer acceleration, but 20+ knot speed excrusions on approach Again, sim thing or A330 thing?

4) Why is F speed higher on approach than on T/O different for different CONF's? I have read the FCOM and understand how it works, but wonder what's the reason behind it - to keep lower deck angle? keep the a/c close to min drag at all CONF's? Other reasons?

All in all, a great airplane and I hope to fly it for a living someday