PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to write a CV?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2015, 10:28
Babel Fish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussions that I've seen on PPRuNe of CVs often show a split of opinion around certain aspects of the "ideal" CV (e.g. photo/no photo). For me, I subscribe to the following content & format (from top to bottom):

Personal/contact details; licences & hours (and perhaps where you trained if you think this may be beneficial); employment background; educational background; anything else that might be of interest (involvement with any professional organisations etc.).

Even fresh out of flight school you should be able to fill 1 side of A4 with that information (albeit with rather large header and footer areas perhaps ) For employment background I keep to just a one-liner for anything non-aviation related (employer; job description; dates) as I would assume nobody really cares unless it was something spectacular.

One thing I do try to do in order to survive round 1 of the paper-sift is make it very clear (i.e. right at the top of the CV, in a format/style that is eye catching) that I'm qualified and meet the very basic requirements of whatever I might be applying for e.g. fATPL, ICAO Level 4 English, EU Citizen etc. I've seen the CVs of a few fellow job hunters and, IMHO, my eyes had to work a little too hard in order to determine these basic facts.

Having said all of that, my CV has yet to work its magic out there in the wild, so take the above with a large pinch of salt